Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Remembering the fields

So where are we now.  About a week since my last post (see look I’m trying to stay a little more regular on these posts now) and I’m going to once again share a previously written article that I had worked on for our in-country volunteer newsletter.  BUT. I'm doing it in a different way so this is not more of the same, but rather innovation at its finest.  It has been interesting look back on different aspects of my service and how I viewed them at the time versus how I view them now, which is why you’re getting this delightful introduction and an equally delectable conclusion that I am adding on to this written piece.  An analysis.  One might go as far as to call it commentary from the Author.  So enjoy the article, peruse the added conclusion (think of it like bonus material on a blue-ray disc of your favorite sci-fi movie), warning this is a long one, and Go Hawks.



A Summer in the Fields
“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live” (Henry David Thoreau)
For those of you that live in villages and haven’t taken the opportunity to plant something, the best advice that I have for you is, plant something.  Anyone who has spent enough time in this country has gotten to watch the gradual transitions of the land and people from season to season.  You watch the rains come, the village breaks out into a palpable buzz of excited energy as preparations are made, the crops fill up the countryside, the rains stop, the harvest begins, the families move back to the village, the markets swells, and everybody gets settled in to wait and weather six months of windstorms and heat.  Throughout all of this there is a small aspect to everything that you miss by only observing or helping.  There is a certain eye opening aspect to investing a sense of ownership into this whole process that can’t be found any other way.
I affectated in August with enough time in village to catch the tail end of rainy season and wanted to try my hand at farming, the occupation of almost every member of my community.  The trouble was they weren’t my fields to farm and also being the first volunteer I was still firmly held in the position of being a foreign stranger and I was appropriately treated as such.  If I went out to the fields with my Daba I would be allowed to work for about five minutes before my daba was taken from me and I was told to go rest beneath a tree.  And so went all of my visits to the fields, but it was pointless to try to fight against this.  My friends were simply following the cultural protocol of having a guest come to visit and it would have simply been rude for me to demand to be allowed to work rather than a gesture of comradery.  I only had about two months in village to explore the fields before the school year started and lacking any real sort of investment in the harvest my entire attention was allowed to be eclipsed by trying to figure out how to teach math and science in French to hundreds of kids who barely understood me.  And with that my season was over, not because I had finished the season, but because I simply had no more time for it and I was well off enough to simply walk away when I needed to.  The school year sped by, as school years tend to do, and slowly around March the village started stirring from its season long hibernation to start to get ready for the upcoming season and this is about the time that I either had a really stupid or really amazing idea.
I felt like I had a decent amount to do on my plate, but with the rains coming and the students getting ready to leave for the summer I started thinking about what I could do to fill my impending free time.   I had been thinking about doing some projects with soy, but having not had the chance to demonstrate to the village the varied uses of this crop I saw it to be a rather fruitless idea to attempt to convince a large group of subsistence farmers to experiment with a new crop that they had never heard of or seen in a region already dealing with a paucity of rain and rich soil.  Thinking back to my past rainy season I started to come up with my plan to plant my own field and I would plant soy.  “Brilliant” I thought, with my own field nobody could stop me from working all I want and people will be able to see this new crop and then maybe next year they will be interested in farming it themselves.  Absolutely no drawbacks. 
The interesting thing about language is that we use different words and grammatical structures to express certain thoughts and emotions and certain words conjure up certain emotions and ideas when we hear them.  There is a real difference in knowing what something is and knowing what something means and I found that to abundantly be the case in farming.  I knew what a half a hectare was, but I didn’t know what it meant.  I knew that my neighbors often worked eight to ten hour days, but I didn’t know what that meant.  And I went on to find that there were a lot of things about my village that I knew, but had no idea what they meant.  Farming in a small village forces you to ask certain questions that you never thought to ask as well as providing you with a platform on which to ask them.  For example I probably would have never thought to ask my friends in village “what does a family do if they don’t own a donkey and a plough?” or “what does the village do if the supply of government subsidized fertilizer doesn’t come in time?”.  And more importantly even if I had thought to ask those types of questions without having been forced to by my new found farming needs my village would not have understood why I was asking those questions.  These were facts of life for them, everybody knew the answers to these questions and since everybody already knew these answers nobody knew how to answer these questions.  More often than not if I tried asking some sort of question in this vain during the dry season they would wonder why I wanted to know, or tell me that it doesn’t concern me so I don’t need to worry myself over that.  Now asking these same questions as a farmer in the village I finally made sense to them, of course he needs to ask these questions, he’s the idiot farming by himself.
More important than the questions my experience taught me to ask, however, were the questions answered for me simply by my experience.  You read in papers and in manuals all of the new and efficient farming techniques that can increase yields and help soil structure and you wonder why nobody uses them, like digging Zai pits for your fields.  Well after spending two straight weeks digging Zai pits I completely understand why very few farmers implement that strategy in their own fields.  I spent two weeks digging ten fifty meter long rows of Zai pits and one long miserable day crawling around my field planting those same Zai pits before having to leave village for a vacation.  One of my friend’s kids offered to finish up my field for me while I was away and with his family’s donkey and plow he was able to finish the remaining 80% of my field in a single day.  Well there’s two questions answered.  Why don’t families use the Zai pits more often?  Because they suck.  They are extremely time consuming and when time comes at a premium this time of year and you still aren’t convinced this strange new technique will actually be worth the huge initial investment of time it is easier to just plant a larger low producing field and then move on to the next crop.  Question two, what do families with no donkey and plow do?  They lean on the support of their community, their family and friends.  Kogho was becoming my family, little by little.  Many volunteers are often touched by the family like nature of the communities in this part of the world and the sense of welcoming and family can come in all shapes and sizes.  The communities over here don’t know how to exhibit love and affection using the languages of Western Culture, because they have their own ways of expressing these feelings.  It’s part of our cultural exchange with our hosts to learn their language, not just the spoken language, but the language of their behaviors, so that we can understand what we mean to our closest friends during our time here.  Understand what they are trying to say even if they don’t have the words to express it.  This can take many forms, and farming isn’t the only way to connect, but in a small farming community, it is a great way to start.
The rains continued and little by little I began to understand more about my village, about the life, about the struggle, and about how life and struggle were often intermingled into the same sentence or salutation because when farming is all you know than your only concept on the reality of life is that it is a never ending cycle of struggle.  With August came my two rounds of weeding the fields and adding fertilizer.  Every day, in the fields, six to eight hours a day.  My body was broken down, and built back up week after week.  My hands hardened as each new wave of blisters developed and healed over.  And little by little my field of Soy was developing.  During my time in the fields I didn’t have any sort of great epiphany, or philosophical insight, I was simply too tired.  All I could think about was weeds and dirt.  I would close my eyes and see them dancing in front of my eyes, mocking me.  It was during this time that I had some of my favorite interactions with members of my village.  Since my arrival many members of my village had been scared to come talk to me because I was something of an unknown quantity.  Children ran in fear and adults simply waved but said nothing since they didn’t really know what to say to me, we shared no common ground.  That all changed with the fields.  Every day I would meander back and forth through the fields weeding and checking my plants and now suddenly people had a reason to come say hello. 
“Nassara manna wanna?”   (stranger, whatsup?)
“manna neere”  (it’s good!)
“fo manna boe?” (what are you doing?)
“mam manna tumma” (I am doing work)
“ah! Nassara. Po po po. Mam nonga fo” (ah! Stranger, po po po. I like you!)
“barka! Wend na man sabg songo!” (thank you! May God do good things for you)
“amina! Wend na ko saaga” (amen! May God give us rain!)
“amina” (amen!)
note most of my Mooré was just learned orally so that fun dialogue is probably wildly inaccurate as far as written Mooré is concerned
Some people came to just watch, some people came to ask what I was planting, some to know what I could do with my new crop, and some just to ride their bike back and forth a few times to casually double check that I was actually farming.
            Overall I would like to say that I did a reasonably good job developing my field, but my biggest learning curve hit me during the harvest.  During the rains if you can’t quite get all the work done its ok because Mother Nature comes in on the assist, the rains take care of a good portion of the responsibility.  But come harvest time it’s now all just you against time.  The previous year I was simply able to walk away from the harvest when I no longer had time for it and as such I completely missed the scope of work that goes on during the harvest.  But this year was a different story.  The fields were ready to harvest, classes were starting, and I had to start organizing the students for a school garden.  And I wasn’t the only one overloaded around this time of year.  During the rains your life is just farming, but come harvest time the real world comes storming back and you are still just as busy as you were during the rains just with all of your old responsibilities as well.  The students were able to help me a little, but they had harvests of their own to work.  We had to cut all of the soy plants down with a machete, carry them by hand to a drying area, protect them from animals while they dried, beat them to a powder with big sticks, and then pour this powder into large bowls using the wind to blow away the crop residue leaving just the finished product.  Writing this in one sentence makes it sound smooth, but it wasn’t.  We were late cutting the soy down so many of the seeds fell early and were lost to chickens, then the village released their animals earlier than I thought and they came through and ate a lot of the harvest, later we left the pulverized crop in my courtyard for too long leading to a mouse infestation, and finally my friend’s wife took pity on me and helped me “vanner” my harvest.  I finished the season around early December with around 70 kgs of product from an area of land that can produce 400kg in ideal conditions, 3 sacks of animal feed and no animals, blistered hands, and what felt like a new village.
            I started this article with the advice that you should plant something.  And then went on to belabor the point that it was painfully difficult and I was in over my head.  That may seem counterintuitive, but in my opinion that is exactly why you should plant.  It teaches you an important lesson about life.  Coming from America we believe in the power of the individual, pulling oneself up by one’s bootstraps, and making our own way in life.  I think this attitude masks the reality that nothing in life is truly accomplished alone.  There are few things that really hammer this principle home more than trying to farm a field that is too big for you.  It forces you to accept that there are things you can’t accomplish alone.  It teaches you how to lean upon those around you.  It helps you understand the importance of culture and community.  And afterwards you will start noticing that there is a lot in life that is like trying to farm a half hectare of soy.  And that we’ve been leaning upon people our whole lives, we just forgot that we were doing it.


 The fields


Friend’s wife Assesta taking pity on me


Beating up the soy with sticks


BONUS MATERIAL
What I took most from this multiple month experience in my service was how it really served as a turning point in my service.  It changed who I was in the eyes of my village and when you live in a village who you are is more defined by what people think of you and less by what you think of yourself.  Throughout my service, and hopefully throughout my upcoming posts, I struggled with the idea of privilege.  Of the ideas that my village held about me because of my whiteness.  And often how I didn’t think that I should even be here as I worried that Western meddling in the developing world did more harm than good.  But my summer in the fields helped solidify certain ideas that I had about my place in the village, and as I noted, changed some of the ideas that my village held about me simply because of my whiteness.  This whole undertaking put me in a very vulnerable and public position.  Coming into Kogho the general idea was that white people know everything, Africans need to just listen to white people, and whatever this white person says we will give it a try (this was also compounded by the fact that I am a male on top of being white).  And this creates a very difficult situation.  Sometimes people take this response and run with it.  Say to themselves that they do know everything.  And by the end of their time, wherever that may be, they will have oodles of successful projects, solved malnutrition, and made the world a better place to boot.  But this line of thinking has missed a whole half of the equation, and that is the village.  The most important aspect of spending time in these development roles is to understand that you are simply part of a dialogue.  And a good conversation needs two halves, two sides, and honesty and understanding between both sides. 
A theme in a lot of my writing has been learning through failure and I will probably bring this up at least..1.4 more times.  It’s important to fail, it’s important to know why you failed, and beyond that it’s important to avoid unnecessary failures (but you just said failures are good?)  I know. Shut up.  What I mean is what I believe all Peace Corps volunteers figure out before the end of their service is that we should never go into a community—go into a problem—with our own ideas about how to solve this problem.  Because we will fail, one hundred percent of the time. We have to go in, shut up, and listen, a sentiment best expressed by Ernesto Sirolli in a TED talk that he does in 2012.  And the reason that I bring this up is that my ill-advised foray into farming really helped my community and myself with the “listen” part of this formula.   Up to this point I had done some shutting up, and I had done some listening, but I hadn’t yet become comfortable with hearing that I might be wrong.  And my community had not yet become comfortable with telling me that I was wrong, and so there was something missing in our dialogue, in our conversation.  Well after making a monumental ass of myself for a few months with a hand hoe my community discovered something.  Yes I was white.  Yes I was a man.  And yes I was the volunteer sent to their village to help them.  But I could be just as clueless as any one of them, and seeing me struggling through my failure turned me into an entirely different person in their eyes. 

Following this progressive “light bulb” moment my conversations with my friends and co-workers became different.  They began to bring their own ideas more often; they told me when my ideas wouldn’t work, when they would, and how to change them to better address the needs of the village.  They brought their passions to me and in turn I was able to simply serve as a resource, as a servant, as a friend, and not as a leader.  And that’s something special about the Peace Corps.  It allows individuals and communities around the world to get together, share their passions, and try to solve problems.  Because at the end of the day we share the same problems all over the world; just not necessarily the same solutions.  As Ernesto says, “nobody can succeed alone”.

No comments:

Post a Comment